Monday, February 27, 2012

PART TWO: Apple Aebleskivers

We went picking in the abandoned apartment above the garage and found a ton of old stuff - a LIFE magazine from 1965, MAD magazine from 1960, a lot of hand-painted opera/theatre posters and a lot of acids - we also found a cast iron aebleskiver pan. Which, it turns out, is a Danish doughnut pan. Coincidentally enough, when I talked to Becky, she was making doughnuts.  So I looked up a few recipes and found a pretty good one - I added apples to my batter which is part of the traditional recipe.


RECIPE

2 eggs
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup buttermilk
4 tablespoons butter
Confectioner's sugar

Beat egg yolks until light and fluffy, then add the sugar and salt.


Sift the flour with baking powder and baking soda, then add it to the egg mixture, alternating small amounts with the addition of the buttermilk, as you continue mixing

Beat the egg whites until stiff, then gently fold them into the batter.  Chop up apples (if desired) and add them to the batter, I also added some sugar and cinnamon


Heat the Aebleskiver pan - I tried baking half of them in muffin pans (350 degrees) - I heated up the muffin pan with some butter in the oven, added the batter and flipped them over about 6 minutes into it, then cooked another  5-6 minutes.  


While they were baking, I melted some butter and mixed some cinnamon and sugar together so that when they came out I could coat them.


*I think it would have been better to spray the muffin pan with Pam instead of butter.









1 comment:

  1. I like the dash of powdered sugar on top, nice touch! However, in the true spirit of the Iron Chef...we win!

    ReplyDelete