Friday, April 13, 2012

Smoothies

When Emmy just visited me, she made me make her a smoothie for breakfast everyday- just call me Jamba Juice :)

Ingredients:

Yogurt - I vary between nonfat plain or vanilla, whichever brand is on sale- plain has less sugar, but vanilla tastes better.  I buy them in the big containers and since there are usually 4 servings I try and get 4 smoothies out of each one.

Frozen fruit tropical smoothie blend from Costco- but any frozen fruit will do
1 banana- a must!  Banana makes such a difference, maybe because it's my favorite fruit...
2 tsp flax seed- you won't be able to taste this, just for an added punch of nutrients
A squirt of agave nectar or honey for sweetness

Directions:

Put the yogurt into the blender and add the fruit on top.  I like to let it sit for about 10-15 minutes to give the fruit a chance to thaw.  This isn't necessary, it just makes it easier to blend.  Add the flax seed, agave/honey and banana.  Begin to blend starting with the ice crushing function on your blender. Add small amounts of water as you blend to achieve desired consistency.  Pour into a glass and enjoy!

Tip- when fruit goes on sale in the market, I'll buy in bulk and make my own freezer ready made mixes.  The season will determine the types of fruit but right now I have strawberries and kiwis in Ziplock bags just waiting for a grab n'go smoothie!

happy eating :)  xoxo b

No comments:

Post a Comment